Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Lunch: Cilantro Soup



As most of my dishes are, this one is a modified version of a recipe I got from a Betty Crocker cookbook. It was called White Chili. I named mine Cilantro Soup! It is wonderfully healthy, cool tasting, but warm, and refreshing. It is truly delicious. You should really cook this one now!


Normally I don’t take the time out to write the recipe for each one. I let you request it from me so I don’t write them if I don’t have to. But you have to try this soup! So here is the recipe:

1tbs butter

1 large onion

3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I love garlic, so use less if you don’t love it like I do)

½ cup Rotell (diced tomatoes and green chilies)

3 cups chicken broth

¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped

2 tbs lime juice

1 tsp cumin

½ tsp dried oregano leaves

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

¼ tsp salt

1 can (11oz) corn, drained

1 can (15oz) great northern beans, drained

1 can (15oz) butter beans, drained

2 cups cooked chopped chicken breast

  1. In a 4-quart pot, heat butter over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
  2. Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir in chicken. Simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is hot.

4 comments:

T,L&T said...

I can recommend this one!! I was at Melissa house and helped in the preparation, then enjoyed the soup very much.
Thanks for including the recipe, I want to make this one at home.
Mom

Amy said...

I. am. so. making. this.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
This is the recipe for white chili that I have made for years and the family continues to love it. Now, how coincidental is that. My variation includes adding canned chopped chilies instead of the Rotel, sometimes I add hominy too plus chili powder.

I believe the cumin and cilantro are the most crucial ingredients..all of your protein and vegetables in one bowl!! In fact, last night, I just made it for the Atlanta family!

Susan

T,L&T said...

I just made this soup and it is delicious! Tori likes is too. (Dad hasn't come in yet, but I'm sure it is one he will like)
Remember when you made it Melissa that we were saying it would be good to have tortilla chips with it? Well, while the soup was cooking, I pan fried very small strips of corn tortillas (about 1/4" thick, maybe even closer to 1/8") in oil and dried them on a paper towel. Then I served them sprinkled on top of the soup! I'm think Dad will like that too because he always likes something crunchy.
Mom