Monday, September 17, 2007

Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes





I wish I could say the same for these, but these cupcakes weren’t as successful. I started to get the ingredients out for the cupcakes, and I discovered that I was almost out of flour. So I did what you should not do, and drove to the store without checking to make sure I had the rest of the ingredients on my list. As it turns out, I got back and discovered that I didn’t have any eggs. But I did have two egg yolks that I had saved from when I needed only 2 egg whites. I didn’t want to get back out, so I just made do without it. I was again wanting a light tasting cupcake, so I used a cake flour rather than regular flour. Then I also used the egg yolks rather than whole eggs. And I put in some lemon juice. Then I also thought that I would try out using Splenda rather than sugar because we have been eating so much sugar with all these cupcakes lately. All in all, I am not sure what to say about them. They are…interesting. I say so because they don’t taste bad, they just aren’t great. Joel likes them since they are made with spelnda, so I am letting him be in charge of eating them, haha. But I did learn something from this cupcake attempt. If you look at the pictures, you notice that the cupcake after it is baked looks exactly like it did when I put it in the oven. This is probably due to the cake flour and egg yolks. I guess since cake flour had less protein, then that is why it didn’t rise at all. They didn’t change shape, they just baked into a cooked cupcake. So I ended up with dense, but light (due to the splenda) cupcakes. This gave me ideas for cookies that I could make using the cake flour. They would taste really good if I would have used regular sugar. I will try those out sometime soon hopefully.

No comments: