Sunday, September 9, 2007

Chocolate Mousse Cup Cake Sucess - sorta!

My family was coming in town two weeks ago, and I wanted to make cupcakes that they would like. So I chose a chocolately recipe knowing that they like chocolate. When I finished the cupcake batter, I was skeptical, because it looked too light and airy. Almost like I would expect the icing to be. (see the picture, doesn’t it look like icing?) But I had to keep in mind that I was making mousse cupcakes.

So when I first got them out of the oven, they looked great. See the nice picture? But then when I tried to touch them, they totally fell apart. I ruined the first one by trying to take it out immediately. So I thought they would hold if I just let them totally cool off. But after they were totally cool, they still totally fell apart when I took them out.




What to do? My family is on their way and my husband will be home as well and all are looking forward to these so called yummy cupcakes that I have been talking about for 3 days. I had to think quick. I wish now that I would have taken pictures to show how badly they looked, but at that time, I wanted to cover them up, not document them! I decided to try to make a cake out of them. So I put them in a messy circle and took 4 broken but somewhat round ones and I put them on a different plate. I iced them with the chocolate frosting and put them in the refrigerator to stiffen. Then I continued to make the whipped filling. My plan at that time was to make some filling, and save some of the chocolate frosting for covering the sides once I put the top on. So it would be a dark chocolate outside with a light chocolate inside and that icing would stiffen and serve two purposes, one to cover my mess and two to hold it together. But as I was making the whipped frosting I guess I lost track of the plan and I poured the whole thing into the whipped mix. Which meant that I now turned all my frosting into the “middle.” At that point, I had to change plans yet again and make the cake a light brown whipped frosting with a richer, stiffer frosting in the middle. So I iced the whole bottom part, and made it as smooth looking as I could. Then I removed the cooled iced top part and placed it in top. That wasn’t very easy! I placed it in the freezer because I recall chocolate mousse tasting very yummy frozen, and the recipe did say to serve cold.

In the end, even though it didn’t look that professional, it did taste wonderful. It had a really strong and rich chocolatey flavor. The cupcakes were definitely light tasting and were good cold. I think I might have been able to keep the cupcakes in tact if I were to have cooked them with regular cupcake holders, and if I would have put them straight in the freezer to not only cool, but harden. Regardless, Joel and Tori both couldn’t seem to get enough of them. Tori and I ate a huge chunk of it the first night, and Joel ate a bunch while I was gone, so all in all the “cake” lasted about 4 days. So based on those standards, I can call it a success. Hey, you have to learn to be creative and flexible!


No comments: